Myanmar: 20 anti-coup protesters were killedEvent
- Initial Date
- Mar 15, 2021
- Event Description
The number of civilians killed by regime forces on Monday has now reached at least 20, according to the latest information received by Myanmar Now.
The week started with a fresh outbreak of deadly violence that came after the worst weekend so far in the junta’s efforts to crush opposition to its February 1 coup.
Killings were reported around the country, with the highest concentration occurring in Yangon, where at least 63 people died on Sunday after soldiers opened fire in several townships.
In Hlaing Tharyar, the scene of some of the deadliest violence over the weekend, six people were murdered, including a man in his 50s who was collecting trash near the Aung Zeya bridge when a soldier approached him and shot him in the head.
Two women in their 60s were also killed when they were hit by bullets fired into their homes on Da Bin Shwe Htee road.
A night of terror
Indiscriminate shooting continued well into the night, resulting in at least two more deaths in the township, according to local residents.
The night of terror began at around 4:30pm, when the military sealed off main roads between the Aung Zeya bridge and the fire station about 2km away and started shooting.
“They were on trucks and shot at anything that moved. They shot anyone they saw,” said one resident, describing the scene on Monday night.
“There were two crab sellers in the area that night. When the trucks came by, they poked their heads out for a look and got shot. Both of them died,” the resident said.
On the other side of Yangon, a crackdown on a peaceful vigil for fallen protesters in Dawbon township left two men dead and four others seriously injured on Monday, a member of a township-based aid group told Myanmar Now.
There was also another death on Monday in South Dagon, one of six townships in Yangon placed under martial law since the weekend as the regime moves to clamp down on protests.
The killing continued in South Dagon on Tuesday, with reports that a man in his 40s had been shot in the head by junta forces. No further details were available.
Shooting at ambulances
Monday’s death toll also rose outside of Yangon, as more of the injured died and earlier figures were revised to reflect the latest available information.
In Myingyan, a town in Mandalay region, six people, including three boys in their teens and a 20-year-old woman, were confirmed dead, doubling the previously reported death count.
At least 17 others were injured during the crackdown, including five who are in critical condition, according to a member of a team that is caring for the wounded protesters.
“We’ve had to hide the dead bodies because we’re worried [the military] might take them away,” the medical support worker said late Monday evening.
He added that soldiers shot into the houses of local people who hid the injured protesters and also at ambulances that transported the dead and wounded to a makeshift clinic.
There were also two confirmed deaths in Chanmya Tharzi, a township in downtown Mandalay, as well as at least five others in smaller centres to the north of the city.
A total of four deaths were also reported in Aunglan in Magway region, Gyobingauk in Bago region, and Monywa in Sagaing region, according to local aid groups.
According to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, Myanmar’s military has killed at least 183 people in the six weeks since it seized power.
- Impact of Event
- Gender of HRD
- Other (e.g. undefined, organisation, community)
- Rights Concerned
- Right to life
- Pro-democracy activist
- Armed forces/ Military
- Monitoring Status
- Event Location
- Summary for Publications
On March 1, 2021, 20 pro-democracy defenders were killed by soldiers in Yangon, Myingyan,Chanmya Tharzi, Aunglan, Gyobingauk and Monywa, Myanmar